Sunday, January 16, 2011

In Which We Travel From the Capital to the Country

This last week, we traveled up from London to Norwich, where I’ll be attending the University of East Anglia (or uni, as it is delightfully called here.)

The campus kind of looks like something out of Orwell, all of the buildings are concrete and steel blocks. But there’s a kind of charm to them. I’m staying in the Norfolk Flats, which look kind of like Aztec pyramids.

When I opened the door to my room I was greeted with what looked to be a prison cell. I had this moment of anxiety and I thought, “Well crap, how am I going to get through the next six months?”

But I put my sheets and pillows and quilt on the bed, my books on the shelves, and I pinned up a few mementos, and I began to feel more at home. I slept for almost twelve hours that night.

I'm beginning to like it here. I have my own room. If I want to talk to people I can go down to the kitchen or I can call up some friends. I have a view of the lake from my window. I feel like I’m at Hogwarts. I hope to see the giant squid one of these days.

3 comments:

  1. What a pretty view. Make sure you get out and see the sights. You'll blink and your trip will be over.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your blanket and pillow look kind of forlorn. I hope you have settled in a bit more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read this ages ago and am only commenting to say you need to update more ;____; i miss you, and when you don't update i worry you have been trampled by a stray cow.

    ReplyDelete